There are hundreds of smart phone applications available to the EHS Professional. Luckily, the website www.safetyawakenings.com/apps/ reviews a new application every week. Looking through their archives, they have given favorable reviews to many safety apps. Below are the ones also recommended by our staff:
1. OSHA Safety - includes the full text of the OSHA regulations for General Industry and Business. These OSHA 1910 Regulations cover most work places, including manufacturing, service industries, warehouses and distribution centers, and the medical / dental fields.
• Contains the full text of OSHA Regulations for General Industry (Part 1910).
• Contains the full text of the OSHA regulations that apply to most US businesses.
• Doesn’t require internet access, so it can work in remote locations and on Factory floors.
• Provides full access to the latest OSHA 1910 Regulations.
• Provides OSHA’s official interpretations of their regulations.
• Provides the latest OSHA news.
• Provides OSHA’s latest weekly news bulletin.
2. WISER - (Wireless Information System for Emergency Responders) is a mobile application designed to assist first responders in hazardous material incidents.
- Rapid access to the most important information about a hazardous substance by an intelligent synopsis engine and display called “Key Info”
- Intuitive, simple, logical user interface developed by working with experienced first responders
- Comprehensive decision support, including assistance in identification of an unknown substance and, once the substance is identified, guidance on immediate actions necessary to save lives and protect the environment
- GIS support provides for isolation/protective distance overlays on a map of the incident
- Access to NLM’s Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSDB), which contains detailed peer-reviewed information on hazardous substances
- User Profiles enable users to specify the role they are currently playing at the scene of an incident: first responder, HAZMAT specialist, EMS specialist, hospital provider, or preparedness planner. The key information presented to the user about a substance varies depending on this role, so that the information most relevant to the respective job can be quickly accessed.
- Radiological and biological substance support.
- ERG 2012 data; the iPhone version of WISER includes the full ERG 2012 tool.
- Mobile support, providing first responders critical information where they need it, when they need it.
3. NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards - The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Chemical Hazards Pocket Guide provides a concise source of general industrial hygiene information for workers, employers, and occupational health professionals. Features Include:
- Fully indexed and searchable chemical list by name, CAS# or RTECS#
- Full text of all referenced DOT Emergency Response Guides
- Viewable International Chemical Safety Cards
- All NIOSH appendices
- Saved History of previously view Chemicals
- No Internet connection required
4. First Aid by American Red Cross - The official American Red Cross First Aid app puts expert advice for everyday emergencies. Features Include:
• Simple step-by-step instructions guide you through everyday first aid scenarios.
• Fully integrated with 9-1-1 so you can call EMS from the app at any time.
• Videos and animations make learning first aid fun and easy.
• Safety tips for everything, from severe winter weather to hurricanes, earthquakes and tornadoes help you prepare for emergencies.
• Preloaded content means you have instant access to all safety information at any time, even without reception or an Internet connection.
• Interactive quizzes allow you to earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your lifesaving knowledge.
5. Ladder Safety - The NIOSH Ladder Safety application features a multimodal indicator, which uses visual and sound signals to assist the user in positioning an extension ladder at an optimal angle. Furthermore, the application provides graphic-oriented interactive reference materials, safety guidelines and checklists for extension ladder selection, inspection, accessorizing, and use. The application is intended to help a wide range of ladder users, employers, and safety professionals, with their ladder-related safety needs. The ladder safety app is also 508 compliant.
6. Units – Free Unit Converter – Units is a really useful app that lets easily convert various units from 43 different categories including Speed, Time, Length, Volume, Area, Power, Temperature, Fuel Consumption and loads more! Units is now a fully universal app with native support for iPhones, iPod touches and iPads. As an added bonus, Units also has a built in ruler, for doing small, quick measurements when the need arises. Features include:
• Convert hundreds of units – Units has over 800 units across 43 different categories.
• Convert currency – Units can convert between 88 different currencies, with rates updated daily.
• Hide unused units – Units lets you hide units you don’t use, allowing you to maintain a streamline conversion work flow.
• Built in ruler – Units has a built in ruler allowing you to make small, quick measurements without carrying round a ruler.
7. Sound Meter – Sound meter is in the 4th set of Smart Tools collection (noise, decibel meter) used as an auxiliary tool. Sound meter uses a built-in microphone to measure noise volume in decibels (dB), and shows a reference. Features include:
- Statistic menu with saving data log
- Level notification
- Line-chart duration
8. Compass PRO – This app uses magnetic sensor inside the portable device to read earth magnetic field. Features include:
- Directions of north, south, east and west
- Degrees in side window
- Rotating bezel
9. LiftRight – this app uses the NIOSH Lifting Equations to analyze the safety of lifting tasks. After entering the lift data LiftRight performs all of the calculations. Features include:
- Illustrated measurement guide helps you measure accurately
- Calculates multipliers, recommended weight limit (RWL) and lifting index (LI)
- Provides recommendations to help you improve the safety of the lift
- Saves completed lifts to revisit later
- Includes option to attach notes or photos for more complete lift information
- Allows measurements to be entered in English units or metric units